Embassy Row Fun Facts

Hello, everybody! Ally here to tell you a little bit about Embassy Row. (Since I know many of you are dying for any information…even if that information is relatively small.)

So let’s get started, shall we?

I’m confused. What is Embassy Row? Is it the seventh Gallagher Girls book?
Embassy Row is the first book in an entirely new series. No Cammie. No Kat. No Gallagher. No thieves. This will be 100% never-before-seen-material. And I am SUPER excited about it!

So what is Embassy Row about?
When a teenage girl moves in with her grandfather who happens to be the US ambassador to a small (fictional) European country, she sees the man who murdered her mother and gets pulled into an international conspiracy all while trying to 1. adapt to a new home 2. make new friends 3. NOT cause an international incident and 4. prove she isn’t crazy.

I’m crazy excited about it.

Is the title actually Embassy Row?
Well, yes and no. Likely Embassy Row will be the series title (like Gallagher Girls), but there will be another title for the book. So it will be XYZ: An Embassy Row Novel (or something like that).

As soon as we finalize the title you’d better believe I will be shouting it from the rooftops!

So will Embassy Row be set in the same world as Gallagher & Heist? In other words, characters from Gallagher & Heist met in Double-Crossed; any chance some Embassy Row characters might meet the other characters as well?
I guess that is always a possibility! But right now there are no firm plans.

Who is Embassy Row about?
In short, Embassy Row is about Grace. And Grace is…my favorite character I’ve ever written.

*cue gasps!*
*cue cries!*
*cue outrage!*

Yes, I know you guys are loyal to your favorites, and I LOVE YOU FOR THAT, but I have been hard on Grace; I mean so, so, so, so hard. She has been through sooooooo much. And she needs me. She really does. So she has to be my favorite.

And I hope she will be your new favorite too.

In addition to Grace, we have a really fun supporting cast–including Noah, Grace’s new best friend; Alexei, the boy next door (who is Russian. Because when you live on Embassy Row the boy next door is likely from a country who is at risk of going to war with your country); and two female characters who might get new names in the new draft so I don’t want to say anything that might confuse you here. Just know that they are super smart and incredibly fierce, and they have been a lot of fun to write.

How many Embassy Row books will you write?
There are three under contract right now. We will have to wait and see how it goes before we know anything beyond that.

Will you go on tour for Embassy Row?
Maybe! Probably? I’m not entirely sure. You see, this will be my very first book with Scholastic, so I don’t know exactly what their plan is to roll out book one and the rest of the series. At the end of the day, my job is to write books. So write books I shall!

So where does Embassy Row stand RIGHT NOW?!
Right now, a number of things are happening:

1. My editor David is going through the entire book, line-by-line, doing what we call a “line edit.”

2. I am coming up with potential titles and sharing them with David who, in turn, shares them with the Scholastic marketing, sales, editorial teams and anyone else who should have a say on these things.

3. The Scholastic marketing/sales/editorial/art teams are working on covers.

4. I’m trying to finalize some of the world-building issues (like what is the name of this fictional country, exactly where is it located, who founded it? etc.)

Then as soon as I get the line edit from David I will do another draft. After that draft the book will go into copyediting (where we focus on things like spelling and typos and punctuation and making sure a character who has green eyes on page 140 doesn’t have blue eyes on page 243).

And then I will likely start on Embassy Row 2.

Will you be doing Advanced Reading Copies for Embassy Row (for bloggers, reviewers, librarians, etc.), and when/where will those be available?
Again, I’ll have to defer to Scholastic on that one. I am honestly not sure what their plan is, but I have faith that their plan is awesome!

When will we be able to buy Embassy Row?
Well, the honest answer is (as always) “it will vary”.

In the US and Canada, it should be out sometime in about a year. When exactly (day and month) I do not know yet, but I do know it will be “early 2015″.

For international readers, I know that we have publishing deals already in place for the UK and Australia! When will it pub in those countries? Still not sure on that either, I’m afraid.

For the rest of the world, rest assured I WANT to sell the rights to a publisher who will publish the book where you live. This is a slow process, though, and out of my hands. All I can do is urge patience. Thank you!

So what does this mean for future Gallagher Girls and Heist Society books?
Gallagher Girls (as we have known it) is over. Cammie’s story is a wrap. And while I know you guys would like to see where Cam and Zach and the gang end up and what is going on with them, I have to let them grow up now. They have earned that right.

I have always said that I see Heist Society as a more open-ended series; so I AM open to the idea of more Heist Society books. And I would love to write them. Just as soon as I find the time.

And that’s that, gang. Embassy Row in a (fairly large) nutshell.

Take care!

Ally

Comments

1. Eep, so excited! Thanks Ally! I hope Scholastic gives you a book tour because you are SO FUN! Anyway, good luck, I’m sure we will love Grace. Happy writing! (;
    XO, Kristi

2. OMG sounds AMAZING!!! I can’t wait!!!!!!

3. Yay! I’m excited for Embassy Row!

4. I can not wait to read this book and many more to come. I also would like say that you ,Ally Carter, are one of my inspirations. I hope that one day when/if I decide to sit done and write a book it will be even the slight bit as good as the ones you have written.

5. Zoe Manley says:

Are you going to write another Heist Society book?

6. WhiteRose says:

I can’t believe Grace is your favorite character, as far as i can tell she seems pretty awesome but if Kat or Cammie heard you right now, they would go and cry in a corner

• Actually,knowing them, they’d probably pull some mad karate moves on her. :D {Maybe even that outlawed maneuver,sorry my mind is blank and I can’t think of the name. :O }

7. But … but … GG6 finalized nothing … Is Tabby an official thing? It’d better be an official thing after all the pain we went through. And what ever happened in Buenos Aires? And what of Catherine? We need an explanation for that – I refuse to believe my dear Townsend capable of such …. such … treachery!! To heck with Cammie and Zach I NEED Abby and Townsend!

AmI being obsessive? I think I’m being obsessive. I’ll go hide now.

Oh also – was Dee Dee part of the Circle? *crickets* Come on! Was I the only one who thought that?

But ranting about Tabby and Dee Dee aside I’m quite excited for Embassy Row. Best of luck!

• Does anybody else realize that if Abby and Townsend (Tabby) ever got married that Zammie(Zach and Cammie) would end? B/c then Zach and Cammie would technically be cousins since Townsend is Zach’s dad(weird right?) and Abby is Cammie’s aunt. Meaning they could not stay together/get married seeing as they would be COUSINS! And breaking a law{not that that would be anything new, right? ;D}

• I totally understand where you’re coming from, but the law doesn’t see them as cousins because he would be Abby’s step son which the law does not recognize. Therefore, as long as they aren’t blood related, it’s all good.
        Xo, Kristi

• I thought Josh had something to do with the circle maybe Zach’s evil brother.

• Catherine blew herself up *flashback of explosion* and Cammie and Zach jumped out….personally, I’m more of a Zammie person…but DEE DEE in the Circle?!?! C’mon, shes too…NICE is the right word I think…Me too!! Embassy Row!! but I DO REALLY REALLY REALLY want more Heist Societys, mostly for Kat and hale XD

8. AHHHHH. I’m so excited. I can’t wait to read Embassy Row. As a former ambassador’s daughter, whose neighbors were from different countries, I am hoping I can relate to the book and Grace well!

9. writing4evah says:

I’m sooooo sad the Gallagher Girls are over, but I’m thrilled for a new series!!!!!!! Grace sounds like a very interesting character who is ready to take on an amazing plot!!!

So, you seriously go through your entire book line by line? That must take a lot of work. Kudos to you and your team, Ally!

10. Erin, the redhead says:

While I know we’re nearly a year away from the release, I’m excited knowing that you’re excited about the series (as it should be!). Thanks for sharing, and I can’t wait to hear more!

11. circlechaser999 says:

I AM SOOO EXCITED FOR EMBASSY ROW!!!!!! It’s going to be fantabulous!!!

12. It is incredibly painful to hear the truth. That Cam and Zach pretty much have to be left alone and live their lives. But I am so excited to read Embassy Row that you don’t even know. Your books are my life Ally!!!!! Can’t WAIT for 2015!!!!!

13. Dear Ally, that is so cool!!!

14. It is really sad to hear the Gallagher girls are over especially ZAMMIE!!! But.. I can’t wait for the new series in 2015!!! :)

15. Yay!!!! I am so excited!!! I have been so curious what is going on in the world in the world of ally carter. I know everyone else is mad about no more Gallagher girl books but ally’s been writing those since what? 2006. That’s awhile to haunt one character. I say it is time to let cammie and Zach have a little privacy;) Hopefully I will find a new friend in grace and the boy next door(OOOHHH sounds romantic)

16. So excited for Embassy Row! Just wondering, I’ve been looking around alot and haven’t been able to find A Gallagher Wedding that was put in the back of Barnes and Nobles “United We Spy” Is there anywhere online where I can find the story? Thanks! :)

• I went straight to the store to get the book so I don’t. I kinda confused at the end of A Gallagher Wedding. Do Cammie’s mom and Joe mean come and join them because they weren’t there or did you mean joining in the ceremony as getting married too?

17. Thanks for sharing Ally! Very interesting!

18. I dont think Iwill ever let the Gallagher Girls go! Its so sad that it ended! But I am super excited about Embassy Row!! I also really hope you go on tour!!

19. LoveGhallagerAndHeist says:

OH EM GEEEEE!!!!! i cannot wait for Embassy Row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love all your books and read each series like 500 times!!! (only 5 in real life:))

20. So excited!!!! Can’t wait to be a part of Grace ‘s world! {Anybody else out there,like me, who practically becomes a part of the book? :) }

21. YAY!! I am excited for Grace and I think she will be as awesome as Kat and Cammie. Okay as you know people I have been obsessing over the super bowl, am I the only football fanatic on Ally Carter’s blog. Yes I know I am in a family with mostly boys but still? Anybody? Anybody? Well I am here in Colorado where it is really cold and snowing we finally got a delay I am so happy. I heard what we got today in other states hahem Georgia…. which was what four inches, they would closed down all schools in other states…Georgia. All we got was a ninety minute delay. Anybody shocked? Anybody? Well got to go in shame( I was in a video thing about school family spirit for band I WAS RIGHT UP FRONT I LOOKED AWFUL). Hilarious right, right in front of the big cute senior basketball player I have a crush on and the whole school because it was at a assembly just fantastico. Sorry I go on rants sometimes. Bye!

22. Riley Hoffman says:

Have you thought about making a book on Cammie’s father or Zach’s mom or Blackthorne boys or Joe? And please go on tour.

23. So when is Embassy Row actually coming out?

24. So when is Embassy Row coming out?

25. I’m guessing there will be a really hot guy I can fangirl about like Zachary Goode or Hale (*sigh*)

26. Sabina G. says:

Now I am excited for this book to come out!

27. I’m so excited !!!!! Yay a new book to look forward to!

28. I can’t wait to meet Grace!

29. Please more galagher girls
    but I cant wait for the new books

30. Dear Ally,

PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE, continue GG! im begging you!!! im gonna cry now!!

31. Liv Plant says:

Awesome yeah next year I’ll have to find another at hour till then . I wish I check this site more often

32. IS THERE GOING TO BE ANOTHER HESIT THOUGH???????