Gallagher Girls optioned by Hollywood producers Tonik

Hi everyone,

Coming to you very quickly this morning with some news that I know a lot of you are going to be salivating over…

THE GALLAGHER GIRLS HAVE BEEN OPTIONED FOR FILM!

Yes. A few months ago my agent got an offer out of the blue from a new production company called Tonik. Now, even though Tonik is new, the women behind it, Nikki Silver and Tonya Lewis Lee, have been bringing YA and children’s books to the screen for a long time, and they have recently decided to join forces.

They have just finished filming a TV movie for WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM and they are hard at work getting ready to roll cameras on THE GIVER (starring Jeff Bridges) in South Africa this fall.

Things are happening at Tonik, in other words. And Nikki and Tonya are convinced they can make things happen for the Gallagher Girls! (And I’m going to let them!)

Now…time for the usual caveats:

-we do not have a script yet.

-we are not casting any roles.

-there probably will NEVER be open auditions (those are incredibly rare and I just highly doubt it ever happens. I’m sorry. But it might be time to adjust everybody’s expectations down to the setting of “realistic”.)

-I, personally, will likely have zero say in who gets cast (if we ever get that far)

-and, finally, we are still a loooooooooooong, loooooooooooooong way from having a movie. So, deep breaths, everyone. Be cool, sodapop.

To put this news in perspective: it is awesome! But it is the sixth time that I’ve had a book set up somewhere in Hollywood. So far, none of those have ever gotten past the script development stage.

Will this one (and the new Heist Society option set up at Lionsgate with team behind Pitch Perfect producing) be any different? Boy, I hope so. But only time will tell.

In the meantime, I’m just pleased to be working with very smart, savvy people and hoping for the best.

-Ally

Comments

1. Alexandra says:

That’s awesome news! I hope and pray they make it into a real movie! And I didn’t know they were making the watsons go to brimmingham and the giver into a movie! I love those books! Thanks for the update ally
    ~alexandra

2. Oh my gosh. I am so excited. Although it might not be a movie I hope it does. I love the books.

3. I’ve only been dreaming about this for like… EVER!!!!!! :D

4. Frenchie says:

YAY!!! MOVIE!!!

5. Sabina G says:

If this becomes a movie I will be happier than ever! I was so hoping for this to become a movie! Can’t wait to see if it does!

6. JessicaN says:

Oh, so excited at the possibility! not to sound negative or anything but: Crossing fingers that they don’t ruin it like when they made ERAGON into a movie!! <3 because I love these books way too much to see that happen..

• Elizabeth says:

Please nothing like the way they messed up nancy drew and Percy Jackson!!!!!!

• Well, these ‘Tonik’ people (cant you tell how much I know about this stuff…… pretty much nothing), sound very qualified, so I am hopeful. And anyone who saw Pitch Perfect knows that HS has a good chance too!

7. Omg!!!! So excited!!!!!! Yes I know it might not happen but still!!! If my two favorite book series got made into movies that would be so AMAZING!!!! Yay!

8. Heehee. Optioning AND a Veronica Mars reference!

9. This is amazing! I mean I know it might not happen like you said, but this is really cool! Congratulations Ally! Im Excited this is my all time favorite Book series and Ally’s my all time favorite author so, COOL!

10. Writergal says:

Great news and happy news! But I just hope that Hollywood doesn’t take Ally’s first book or even the book series through a paper shredder where we are all like *groan* of the changes that don’t make sense and aren’t good. If you all know what i mean.

11. LissyLouWho says:

Oh my word!!!!!! YAY!!! I hope it does!!!!! I’m like screaming right now!!!!!!! I can’t wait!!!! Congrats Ms Ally!!!!!!!

12. Danielle says:

YYYYYaaaayyyyy!!!!!! Good news after a long day of band camp. Thanks Ally.

13. MickaylaStar says:

If it does become a film, I seriously hope it’s like the books. I honestly don’t want another Lemony Snicket’s, where the film is COMPLETELY different from the series. Good luck!

14. OMG, this is awesome news! It does make me sad that there won’t be open auditions but the only thing that would really tick me off about the movie is if they put actresses who are in there like 20s for the main roles. They’re supposed to be freshmen not being able to drink!. Sorry for the rant, I had to get that out there

15. Nicole Clarks says:

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!
    DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH!
    DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH! DEEP BREATH!
    I WILL NOT PASS OUT! I WILL NOT PASS OUT!
    I WILL STOP USEING ALL CAPS! I WILL STOP USEING ALL CAPS!
    AND EXCLAMATION POINTS!

NOPE, GONNA PASS OUT

• MickaylaStar says:

Dramatic much? :) I wouldn’t get your hopes up, but some excitement is called for. It might not actually happen, and if it does, the movie could be a disappointment. Hopefully a movie does come out and it’s not completely different from what happened in the books.

• i AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! AHHHHHHH!!!!! GALLAGHER GIRLS MOVIE…AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
      DEEP, DEEP, DEEP, DEEP,VERY DEEP BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

16. O lord please let this work out! :)

17. ohmygosh!!!! Just the thought of a GG movie made my heart practically stop!! Ally, you are amazing and seeing your books come to life on screen would be the best thing the the hole world!!!

18. i hope they don’t pick actors who are not made for the role but i can’t wait for the movie please make sure they don’t mess it up BUT AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. WOW! I am so excited! First Heist then this! I just hope they both work out. Seeing as I’m no actress I don’t mind the ‘no auditions’ aspect either. Thanks for sharing the news Ally, and congrats! I hope this time they both make it to the big screen!!!!!!!!!

20. Hailey.C says:

That is AMAZING!! I am so excited and I really hope they make it and all!

21. Wow, that’s incredible news!

22. Bookworm917 says:

I hope that if they do make a movie they find the perfect cast for everyone i kind of made up my own charecters and scenes i hope that doesnt get ruined but im still super exited!!!
    (Hope they find the perfect zach!!!!!!!)

• I hope that they find the perfect cast too. I will be really disappointed if the cast doesn’t seem right at all. Oh well if the movie gets made ill deal with it I guess. At least if it happens they will have made a movie!!!!!!! SOOO excited for the possibility of it all!!!!!

23. Yes!!!! Im so excited and happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. I want this to be a movie so bad! I can’t believe we might be seeing Cammie, Bex, Macey and Liz on the big screen!

25. o.m.FREAKING G im so excited i screamed when i read this and my parents were looking at me like wat da crap and im like HOLEEE CURAAAAP

26. That’s great news! God I hope it does become a movie!

27. I am so excited! Since the GG series is ending soon it would be awesome to have a Gallagher Girls movie! I just hope if the project gets far enough they will make smart casting choices and not have a girl who’s supposed to be 15 played by a 25 year old. Couldn’t the makers of the Percy Jackson film have looked ahead and seen that Logan Lerman was too old for the part in the first place and will defintiley be too old by the end of the series, or might lose interest in the movie series for older parts in other movies?

28. This is so awesome. Im so happy happy happy :)

29. My mouth literally dropped! I’m so happy! Please let it go through to become a movie!!

30. did we ever end up finding out why there was a code black in GG2? if not i was wondering why there was one? like wht happened tht resulted in a code black? also will we be seeing grant and Jonas again?

31. i just realised tht it was probably done intentionally by rachel and the rest of the staff well i kinda thought tht before but then i was wondering why they were reacting the way they did and then i realised tht they were acting theyre spies and they have to pretend like they dont knw wht the final exam is and they started planning for the exam waaay ahead of time

32. Water Lily says:

If they make GG or Heist Society into a movie, I will explode with happiness!!! I’m sooo excited and I really hope the movies will come through this time. And I didn’t know The Giver was being made into a movie! I’ll have to go see that too :)

33. That’s awesome, Ally! The books will, of course, always be better than a movie, but I would definitley love them as movies as well! ;)

34. OH MY SWEET JESUS YES! THIS HAS BEEN MY DREAM FOR YEARS! NOW I ONLY HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL LIKE 2020 TO SEE ZACH ON SCREEN! SO EXCITED!

35. Sorry but I can’t let this pass. OH MY GOD! I know its being optioned. But seriously that’s amazing news. I absolutely love the GG series and its probably one of my favourites. Well done Ally.

36. Natalie B. says:

when i saw the words ” The Watsons Go to Burmingham ” i freak out! I just saw a comercail trailer for it and know i want to read it and see the movie!!

37. i was super excited for this till i got to the part where i read this is the same company making The Giver in to a movie. i want these books made it to a movie i just don’t know how i feel about it being with this company.

38. OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!! I am in LOVE with the GG series!!!!! I went through 2 or 3 a day! I read until I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I would be the first person to be in the theater and in line buying it!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it into a movie! <3 you!!! :)
    Thanks!
    xoxo,
    Lane

39. I would literally drop dead in happiness if they actually were to make the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im like hyperventil,ating in excitement!!!!!! :D

40. Ajoa (AJ) says:

OMG! I always knew they would become movies. The books are awesome so the movie should be too. This makes me wonder who you would cast as Cammie. I’m gonna see the first day it comes into theaters. OMG I’m so hyper today. I”m about to start reading Heist. Yes I haven’t get off my back (hahaha too much cafine).

41. I hoe the book turns into a move

42. Nati "Ghost" Castro says:

Ommg you need to have Justin Timberlake as Joe Solomon, whenever I read the books and the imaginary movie is playing in my head I always imagine him as Joe… so please think about it

Sincerely,
    Nati “Ghost” Castro

43. I really hope it makes it I apsolutly love this series I’ve been reading them since I was in fifth grade now I’m a freshman I high school

44. I AM SALIVATING!! Seriously. I need, beyond need this book to turn into a movie. Gallagher Girls is definitely one of my favourite books of all time and now that the series has ended (I still reread the books), I need something else GG related. If they do make it into a movie, they should just add Zach in it (I love Zammie :P).

45. omg yay!!!!! :P eep!!*

46. GallagherGirl7 says:

OMG!!!!OMG!!!

These books are my all time favourite books I have just finished the last book (united we spy) and I fell in love… I wish I could be in the book but now the characters will be able to bring it to life for me!!!

47. Yesssssssssssss!!!! If they a,me this movie I will be so happy!! I really want to see them in action and commie and zach, the cutest most original couple I’ve ever read. About!! :-) MAKING THIS MOVIE ISNT A CHOICE!! THEY HAVE TOO!!!!

48. How did you figure out you wanted to skip some scenes in GG5 and make it like a mystery book? Love Your Biggest Fan, Karina

(p.s You are my inspiration to write, I love You!<3<3)

49. OH! MY! GOSH! i really hope this time they really are going to make a GG movie :D

50. OMG! The Gallagher Girls series is my favorite series ever. Please please please crossing my fingers for a movie! My life would be complete!!!!!

51. This post was ages ago T^T

I am seriously considering taking up a career in directing and making the movie myself, because damn, at this point, I know I’m not the only one dying of the wait (come on people, admit it!)

These books are the best I’ve ever read, I’ve fallen completely in love with them! And although I would be extremely excited for a film; I doubt they could ever reach the standards of the actual books (no offense to the film companies, i love you all :3)

Ally, you are bloody amazing. I’m sure you get told this a heck of a lot (being the author of not only the Gallagher Girl series, but also the Heist Society books), but in case you forgot how awesome you are for a second, I just reminded you.

52. I have to say this I have been feeling so happy recently becauuse i have been having dreams of acting in gallagher girls or divergent. PLEASE if there are any open auditions tell me it will make my life complete and I will work so hard and I don’t care if I die working. So please Ally I AM BEGGING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!